The first year we moved in we just needed to get things done, especially when it came to things like… heat… hence this crazy installation of pex at our boiler.
We completely redid the heating system when we bought the house. At the boiler we installed individual valves on all radiators on the supply side but on the return only had a valve per zone.
So for this project we installed valves on each return line and reorganized the pex to make the whole installation a little neater.
So you ask why? Well say you are renovating one bedroom… but still want to have heat in the rest of the zone/ floor, you can isolate individual radiators. This also gives the ability to turn off the heat in individual rooms or when you have an issue, such as a leak.
I did take apart the semi-old return manifold to reuse as much as I could. Here I am starting the layout. Mounting the whole thing to plywood allows us to make it that much neater.
Here is the new manifold mounted to the wall and connected to the boiler. Now on to the mess of pipes…
It was a tight space between the boiler and hot water heater to wrestle the pex and make all the connections!
All done and heat is back on!
We can now control both zones and individual radiators. We also labeled everything to make it a little more user friendly.
Now back to the other projects now that this distraction is done.