And while we had the door down, we repaired more of the rot on the deck door. It was starting to go when we bought the house – since then we dutched in new wood in the worst areas… So today we applied a wood hardener epoxy to the rest of the original rotted wood. Then once the epoxy set up we filled the divots in the door with wood filler… Still to come sanding and painting.
But like all projects, there is always little additional things that come up along the way… And in this case a big little thing… As I was laying out the wall next to the gas meter, I smelled a faint scent of gas. Upon further inspection, with the help of some soapy water, I found a fitting that had the smallest little leak that probably has been leaking for years! Well the only way to fix it correctly was to take apart the connections, which in this case actually required us to demount the gas meter, redope the pipes and put them all back together… Not a quick task.
Many thin coats works best with polyurethane and this is a special UV & Water resistant exterior poly. The interior stuff just won’t hold up. Whew, what a day!